Is 'Fracking' Coming to Pike County?
This event took place in January 2009 at
Delaware Valley High School, Milford, PA. We've left it up on the website because there are some useful links below.
Sponsored by Pike County Citizens for Clean Water and Twin/Walker Creeks Watershed Conservancy.
Featured on January 17th (2009):
* Co-sponsors of the event include: Delaware Riverkeeper Network; Damascus Citizens for Sustainability; Upper Delaware Preservation Coalition; Walker Lake Landowners Assoc.; Shohola Township; Lackawaxen River Conservancy; Representative John Siptroth (189th Legislative District, Pike and Monroe Counties); Pike County Commissioner Karl Wagner; Delaware Twp Supervisors Ileana Hernandez and Ted Parsell; Delaware Twp Environmental Council; STEM (Save the Environment of Moorestown, NJ); Milford Magazine; Richard Buckley, MD, Marina Buckley, MD, Pocono Medical Care; & others. (Live links at: www.twcwc.com/fracking.htm)
- Video clips from Western PA, Colorado, and Texas (where hydraulic gas fracking has already occurred)
- Barbara Arrindell, DCS, Slideshow: "Overview of the Process of Mining for Natural Gas"
- Pat Carullo, DCS: "The Legacy of our Watershed to Our Children"
- Tracy Carluccio, Delaware Riverkeeper Network: "Upper Delaware, Lower Delaware: One River"
- A speaker from PA DEP, possibly the Acting Secretary, John Hanger
- Printed information and other resources; Q&A and discussion with the speakers
Additional Resources on Fracking
See how hydraulic fracturing of gas wells affects water in Western PA, covered recently on Pittsburgh's WTAE-TV evening newscast.
Read what the New York Times is saying about fracking in areas that contribute to NYC's drinking water and how the River Reporter has been covering fracking over the last year.
Learn what nearby citizens groups in Wayne County, PA and Binghamton, NY are saying and doing about fracking.
Read how a recent article in Scientific American assessed the controversy surrounding this new technology and the EPA.
Learn the concerns of Delaware Riverkeeper Network and the Catskill Mountainkeepers about fracking in the Upper Delaware region.
Learn how the Endocrine Disruption website analyzes potential health risks from fracking and what the visual impacts of hydraulic fracturing operations are in Pennsylvania's Allegheny National Forest.
Learn what other citizens' groups are saying and doing
- the Oil and Gas Accountability Project in the Rocky Mountain states
- groups of Texas citizens in Fort Worth, Lake Worth, Bridlewood, and Flower Mound
- groups of Colorado citizens in Western Colorado, the HD Mountains, Grand Valley, the San Juan Basin, the Roan Plateau
- other grassroots citizens' groups in Wyoming, West Virginia, New Mexico, and Arkansas
- a family's day to day account of their experience of fracking in Colorado; video of personal experiences in Western PA.